The World Keeps Turning...


Friday, September 21, 2012

The Famous Mary McCall

Anyone who has spent an iota of time with my sister-in-law, Mary McCall, knows she's a quick-witted, theatrical lady. However, you might not know that she truly is a thespian. And after 20 years, the director at the Small Stage Theater Company finally convinced Mary to grace his stage again in their latest production, A Basket Of Bennett.

I, however, am not a drama expert. So pardon me if I don't use the correct terminology. I know I loved the performance, but I don't know all the correct terms for talking about it.

Mary's piece was a solo act. She was alone for the entirety of the performance and it was her performance that opened the show. She was phenomenal! She told me she recorded herself reciting her lines and listened to them in her car to prepare.

She played a complex character whose story slowly unfolds. As the start, she seems light and comical and even if she's a bit nosy. Then it's revealed her nosiness has a darker side that is quite menacing to her neighbors. At the end, she's a lady who's genuinely happy and content in her new surroundings--jail.








No comments:

Post a Comment