The World Keeps Turning...


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More Shopping In Ireland

One section of the department stores here that I love to look at is the hats and accessories section. The hat-wearing tradition here is similar to what I imagine is the tradition in the South. Gorgeous hats, in all colors to match your beautiful outfits for weddings, graduations, 21st birthdays, Holy Communions, or any other special event.

Nowadays it seems that hats have given way to fanciful headbands.

My dad and I went shopping downtown. He needed to find a good pair of dress shoes for his hard-to-fit feet. Once I heard what he needed, I knew we should go to Arnotts. It's the Irish version of Nordstrom. Totally beautiful fashion. Great service. And the best place to buy lingerie. There is one big difference, however, with department stores here vs. at home: the labels lease out their sections within the store. So, whereas Nordstrom as sections based on styles (conservative clothes for older ladies, business-like styles in Studio 121, juniors in Brass Plum...), Arnotts has leased out one area to Calvin Klein, another to GAP, etc. It's an interesting business difference.

Anyhow, we were walking by the accessories section, and like being hit by a tractor beam, I was helpless against its power. I had to go over and look closer. And then of course I had to try on a few headbands. And when my dad offered to take some photos, I new my second Shopping In Ireland post was born. ;) That's good, too. It saved me at least €200.





No comments:

Post a Comment