The World Keeps Turning...


Saturday, May 28, 2011

Connor's First School Show

The morning of Connor's show he was acting quite cranky at breakfast. Then he told me he was nervous about the show. I told him that most likely, all the children were scared. He said they didn't seem scared, and I said that was because they were all trying to be brave. I also told him that most exciting things in life start out with feeling scared. Because exciting things are new things.

We managed to get to school o.k. And when I picked him up from school, he went straight to him room to get his track suit on (his P.E. uniform), which they were to wear for the show.

The afternoon proceeded on and later Nana made a delicious dinner for Connor.
Afterwards, I walked him down to the school for his early check-in.

Along the way, I asked him, "Do you know that even if there are mistakes on the stage, I still love you?" This seemed to surprise him, "Really?" "Oh yes," I told him, "It doesn't have to be perfect on the stage for me to love you." "Even if I forget to buzz?" (They're bees in the show.) "Even if you forget to buzz."

He thought for a second and said, "Yeah, but Miss Clancy wouldn't like it."
"Well, she might be disappointed..." I told him.

But I think that did the trick, Connor seemed excited and happy on his way to the show.



Connor backstage after getting on his costume.


The program: an amazing, full-color program on nice, glossy paper. We had to pay for it, but it was only two Euros.

The show was held in the local community center, which is right next door to the school. The room here is actually a basketball court/gym where the children have their P.E. classes.
Each ticket cost 6 Euros, and each student was given three tickets. If any student didn't need all three, they were to give back the extra tickets for others who wanted more.

I couldn't believe how professional the production was! Each class presented a few songs, or a one-act play. The was a full sound board, at least 5 wireless mics that the children wore, full backdrop sets, and stage lights complete with a spotlight. I was totally impressed!


Before I left Connor backstage, I told him "I don't know where we will be sitting, but I promise you we will all be in the audience." I was delighted to get a good seat close enough to the stage that Connor spotted us. (Of course we were wildly waving our arms, we were so excited.) He waved back, and he had a great smile!

Thankfully, Ronan was quiet and content the whole evening. Here's a sweet pic after Alan fed him his bottle.

The show was long!!! It started at 7:30pm (albeit it didn't really start until 7:45pm), and ended at 9:30ish!! The school smartly held a raffle and told the audience we were to stay seated after the final bow to wait and hear who were the winners. I thought this was a brilliant way to keep the parents occupied while the staff got the children back to their classrooms and organized for pick-up.

Alan got Connor first, and he was so excited!! Then Nana and I saw him and he was radiant!! He went home happy, got ready for bed happy, and I pretty sure, fell asleep happy, even though by then it was 11pm.

What a great, great night!


No comments:

Post a Comment