The World Keeps Turning...


Friday, October 7, 2011

Ronan's Birth-And Then The Bill Came

Hi Everyone,

Just thought you might be interested in the last few details about Ronan's birth here in Ireland. I was curious how much money it would cost and how the billing was all going to be handled.

We have a new insurance program since we've been here, but Alan and I didn't really know anything about it. We moved here so fast, that the insurance beauacracy couldn't keep up with us. For weeks we couldn't log into the computer to read up on our benefits or search their directories for doctors and hospitals that were In Network. I went to the hospital with a temporary card printed from the computer, and fortunately the lady there had dealt with this company before.

So, just to compare, I'll tell you one or two notable memories I have about Connor's birth's bill. I remember the second night I was in the hospital (my very nice, hotel-like private room), I had put Connor in the nursery so I could try and get some sleep after that arduous labor/birth. Later, before the insurance covered it, I saw the detailed bill for that service: $1300. Just for Connor's one night in the nursery. (And they still brought him to me every 3 hours for a feed!)
I remember getting bills for each and every little thing the hospital did during my stay. So many pieces of paper.

Now onto Ronan's birth's bill.
I received two bills: one from the hospital for the birth, and another from the doctor who gave me the Private care. (Private care here means that I had one doctor throughout the pre-natal care, and it was all but guaranteed that I'd have the same doctor delivering the baby.)

Each bill was one page long.

The hospital bill had three lines:
1. For the night I was in a semi-private bed (€889)
2. For the night I was in my private room (€1017)
3. For the private pathology (blood tests) fees (€168)

Our new insurance covered 90% of it, so I was left to pay around €207. I called them up and paid my bill over the phone.

The bill for the doctor equally simple.

Sam's (yes, he's on a first name basis with both staff and clients, even though he's currently Master of the hospital) bill was €2000. Our insurance again covered 87% of that. I owed him €254. So I called up to pay that bill. No answer the first time, so I left a message. Second time, I got through.

But he had waived the balance.

That's right, my OBGYN waived the last €254 of my bill.

According to his office manager, Ciara (pronounced Kira), when she told him that the insurance paid all but €254 of the bill, and that I had left a message during the week saying I wanted to pay it, he just waved a hand and said, "That's all right. Don't worry about it."

Thank you, Dr. Coulter-Smith! I mean, thank you Sam.




No comments:

Post a Comment